Deira is a neighborhood in Dubai besides the Persian Gulf. This district is between the Dubai Creek and the city of Sharjah, which is 35.3 kilometers from Dubai by the Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Rd/E311. It has been Dubai’s commercial center historically, but Deira’s importance has been going down ever since the development of the Sheikh Zayed Road. But that is on the reverse now, as Deira is developing quickly again.
Deira has always been popular with tourists because of the traditional markets – the Gold souk and the spice souk, aerial sightseeing tours, Xxtreme Simulation, the Dolphinarium, and the heritage houses. This is old Dubai at its best. You will also find many restaurants, shops, and hotels here, like the Landmark Grand Hotel, Hyatt Regency Dubai, Al Rigga, and the Pearl City Suites. It is also a residential zone.
Many of the city’s top attractions like the Burj Khalifa and the Jumeirah Mosque are close. The Dubai International Airport is immediately outside the Deira neighborhood.
There are many supermarkets and shopping malls like The Deira City Centre, Al Ghurair Centre, Reef Mall, and the Hamarain Centre. Also, visit the Deira Fish Market and the perfume souk. But even with all this, Deira has retained its old-world charm.
The roads in Deira are narrower, sometimes crowded, and full of life. This is a neighborhood of mostly people of Asian ethnicity. The evening lights make Deira all the more appealing.
Deira is the oldest area of Dubai. The name originated from Farsi words for two brothers who stayed here.
Deira – Quick Facts
|Deira||The oldest neighborhood of Dubai full of heritage buildings, narrow streets, and traditional bazaars or Arab markets|
|Location||East of Dubai between the city and Sharjah|
|In History||It is the old commercial center, but now has modern buildings, hotels, and many shopping malls too|
|What to do and see||Visit the markets, Dubai Dolphinarium, see heritage houses, many cafes, restaurants, and hotels|
Interesting Facts About Deira
- Deira is culturally rich and the oldest commercial center of Dubai
- It is home to the oldest mall in the city
- The most populated area of Dubai
- Many residential zones
Port Saeed is located along the coast of Dubai Creek in the Deira neighborhood. It is a small port. Many shipping boats and dhow cruises start from Port Saeed.
Top Attractions Of Deira
1. Gold Souk – This is the traditional and famous Gold market of Dubai. Gold is some of the cheapest here. You will find everything made of gold, from trinkets to heavy bridal sets. Opening hours: Mon-Sun – 10 AM to 1 PM, 3 PM to 10 PM. Address – The Creek, Dubai, UAE
2. Spice Souk – The traditional market for freshest spices. You will also find medicinal herbs and powder, all authentic. You will get all the vital ingredients used in Arabian cuisine. Opening hours: Sat- Thu – 4 PM to 10 PM, Friday – 9 AM to 10 PM. Address – The Creek Dubai, UAE
3. Perfume Souk – East of the Gold Souk. You will be engulfed by aromatic scents, as soon as you enter the area around the souk. Find the best perfumes in different bottles. You can even customize your own. Opening hours: 10 AM to 1 PM, 4 PM to 10 PM (all days). Address – Sikkat Al Khail Road.
4. Women’s Museum Bait Al Banat – For all achiever women, in spite of all odds in the UAE. The first floor displays the work of female artists, the second floor has written material. Opening hours: Sat-Thu – 10 AM to 7 PM. Address – Al Sabkha, Deira
5. Heritage House – A courtyard house constructed in 1890, previously inhabited by a rich pearl trader. Find all kinds of displays and evidence about the way of life. Audio and videotapes and other 3D-artefacts. See the pantry, meeting rooms, and kitchen of the past era. Opening hours: 8 AM to 7.30 PM, Sat-Thu – 2.30 PM to 7. 30 PM on Fridays. Address – Deira, Al-Ras District
6. Al Ahmadiya School – It is the first primary school in Dubai, founded by the reputed pearl merchant Sheikh Ahmed bin Dalmouk. Presently, the classrooms have been converted into exhibitors. They display the history of Dubai. Opening hours: 8 AM to 7.30 PM – Sat-Thu, and 2.30 PM to 7. 30 PM on Fridays. Address – Deira, Al-Ras District
7. Deira City Centre Shopping Mall – Buy the latest fashion textiles and clothes, dine in premium restaurants and enjoy a movie. Opening hours: 10 AM to 12 AM, Mon-Sun. Address – 8th Street, Dubai
8. Xxtreme Simulation – Entertainment for thrill-seekers. Racing simulation center with 8 car simulators. Opening hours: 11 AM to 11 PM, Sun-Thu, and 2 PM 12 AM on Fridays. Address – Um-Hurair 1, Deira
9. Dubai Dolphinarium – See dolphins in action here. Opening hours: Mon-Sat, 9 AM to 6.30 PM. Address – Inside Creek Park Gate, Um-Hurair 1, Deira
How To Reach
- Metro – Take the Red line. Get down at the City Center Deira Metro Station
- Taxis, Buses – Operated by the Road and Transport Authority of Dubai on many routes